Dreamy baths? We’ve featured more than a few in our 25-plus-years history. While there’s no single formula for success, the secret ingredients are more or less the same: original spaces, custom details, timeless flourishes and a healthy dose of personal style. These are a few of our favorite stylish—and indulgent—retreats through the years.
Photographed by Mali Azima, David Christensen, Erica Dines, Emily Followill and Chris Little
1. This ultimate feminine (and glam) retreat by Kelly Wolf-Anthony of Wolf Design Group was a showstopping stunner at our 2013 home for the holidays showhouse.
2. A feeling of tranquility permeates this dream-like space by Amy D. Morris. A luxurious french bateau-style soaking tub radiates calmness.
3. Schumacher draperies and original art add panache to this sanctuary by J. Hirsch Interior Design.
4. A marble-topped red-lacquer vanity and manuel canovas wallcovering are super-chic in a Barbara Westbrook-designed powder room.
5. A limestone countertop, moravian star pendant and arabesque-style Nina Campbell wallpaper pack in the punch at the hands of Lauren Deloach and Spitzmiller and Norris.
6. White marble tiles, mercury glass sconces and a lee jofa print create an ethereal effect in a bath by Liz Williams and Stan Dixon.
7. An elliptical tub (set on a marble platform to capitalize on views) and basket-weave tiles fashion a high-style bath at the residences at mandarin oriental, atlanta by Graysonharris.
8. & 9. A subtle cross pattern on the shower floor and the freestanding, backlit vanity are stunning additions to the cathedral antiques show by Jenny Rothman, a designer at Hammersmith.
10. A freestanding nickel tub, a sparkling chandelier hung from an arch-top ceiling and art from Anne Irwin Fine Art fashion a glamorous space by interior designer Courtney Giles.
11. Marble floors set the tone for a sumptuous master bath that includes a stand-alone waterworks tub with a kallista tub filler and area rug from Designer Carpets. Interior design by Barbara Westbrook.
12. A glass shower disappears among the white marble-covered master bath designed by Amy D. Morris. A gilded mirror holds court above his and hers vanities, adding an elegant touch.
13. A nearly invisible walk-in shower is backed by a luxurious, marble-lined wall. Interior design by Betty Burgess.
14. & 15. With elegant fixtures and an expansive walk-in shower, designer Barbara Howard and architect William H. Harrison prove rustic and refined aren’t mutually exclusive in a North Georgia abode.
16. Calacatta marble heightens the luxury quotient in this master bathroom designed by Amy D. Morris, while cotton window treatments with trim and an antique chair in a scalamandre velvet add up-to-date energy.
17. Chevron-patterned walls and floors, a stainless- steel tub and strips of granite make an elegant statement in an all-white beach retreat designed by Melanie Turner.
18. Raised windows allow for light and privacy in this spa-like master bathroom designed by Joel Kelly. Porcelain tile and quartz carve out a luxurious space that includes a duravit soaking tub and shower that’s outfitted with tile colored to mimic teak.