AH&L’s Best of September
Just in time for the arrival of cooler temps, Atlanta’s design scene is heating up!
Don’t miss our recs for the top 7 events of September.
1) Nestled beside Serenbe’s picturesque Grange Lake, the 2015 Serenbe Designer Showhouse, open September 11–October 4, showcases the work of more than 12 designers over two floors, inside and out (check out last year’s Serenbe Showhouse here). Proceeds will directly benefit the Art Farm at Serenbe. Find the full showhouse program in our September issue, and purchase your tickets to see the house in person at serenbeshowhouse.com.
2) Is your kitchen magazine-worthy? Enter our 2015 Kitchen of the Year contest to find out! Winners will be featured in our January 2016 issue. Have a look at the 2014 and 2015 winners for inspiration, and find this year’s entry form here. Entry deadline is September 14.
3) Sample dishes from a selection of the region’s brightest culinary talents at the 6th Annual Southern Chefs Potluck at Serenbe, a casual Sunday supper benefiting Wholesome Wave Georgia, on 9/13. We attended last year’s event on your behalf, so you’ll know what not to miss!
4) AmericasMart’s Fall Gift & Home Furnishings Market arrives September 16-18. Explore this mini-city’s 1,400-plus showrooms and 4,000 temporaries—just remember to come with a plan and wear comfortable shoes. Don’t forget to stop by the Portman White gallery while you’re there. Can’t make it? Find out which showrooms are open year-round.
5) Find our editors at Design Within Reach on September 22, where Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles’ Elizabeth Ralls will moderate a panel on the power of the built environment to positively change our well-being. Featuring designer Bonnie Casamassima; environmental design researcher and consultant Dr. Meldrena Chapin; architect and director of commercial sustainability services at Southface, Shane Totten; and co-founder of AJW Designs, Ann Wisniewski. RSVP here.
6) Sample bites from 90 of the city’s top restaurants at the annual Taste of Atlanta on 9/25—27. The 2015 lineup includes Barcelona Restaurant & Wine Bar, El Felix and Gu’s Dumplings, Southern Gentleman and Ladybird Grove and Mess Hall. General admission is $25 in advance, $30 at the gate, and VIP admission (which includes access to the VIP Grand Tasting Experience featuring beer and wine by Hop City) is $75 in advance and $85 at the gate.
7) Design industry professionals and design-lovers alike will find inspiration at this fall’s Discover ADAC, 9/28–10/1. Attendees will enjoy special presentations from the likes of Nicky Haslam, Miles Redd and Nate Berkus, while receiving exclusive previews of new collections such as Jim Thompson’s studio B. On September 30, AH&L presents a panel discussion on color, craftsmanship and collecting with New York designer Lindsey Coral Harper, Nashville designer Chad James and Atlanta designers Margaret Kirkland and Mallory Mathison. Register here!